White women’s tears can come about in different ways, but here is the classic scene:–
1. A white woman says something racist.
2. A black woman points it out. (It could be any person of colour but it works best against black women for reasons given below.)
3. The white woman says she is not racist and starts crying.
4. For added effect the white woman can run out of the room.
5. Other whites, particularly white men, come to the aid and comfort not of the wronged black woman but of the racist white woman!
6. The black woman, the wronged party, is made to seem like the mean one in the eyes of whites.
7. The white woman continues to believe she is not racist.
Tables turned! It works so well that it is hard not to see the tears as a cheap trick.
This is more than just a woman using tears to get her way. It is built on a set of White American ideas about race, listed here in no particular order:
It works best when these two stereotypes can be applied:
The Sapphire stereotype - black women as mean, angry and disagreeable
The Pure White Woman stereotype - white women as these special, delicate creatures who need to be protected at all costs. It is what drives the Missing White Woman Syndrome – and, in the old days, lynchings.
The r-word: to be called a “racist”, however gently and indirectly, is a terrible, upsetting thing for white people – far worse than, you know, being a racist.
White people and their feelings are the centre of the known universe.
Hearts of stone: meanwhile whites seem to have a very, very hard time putting themselves in the shoes of people of colour.
Moral blindness: white people think they are Basically Good, therefore if someone points out something bad about them it must be out of hatred.
White solidarity: whites are afraid to stand up against racism, particularly when they are with other whites. Also, they do not like it when you call other whites racists – they seem to take it personally for some reason.
I watched this happen at a queer conference I was at where a white woman made a comment and used the word “lynched”, in front of a POC. When he confronted her (in a super polite way), instead of owning up to what had happened, she cried for a good 15 minutes while making it seem like it wasnt her fault for knowing that it would offend him…UGH
- possiblysilently likes this
- greythegryphon reblogged this from activismandsnaps
- maleficentbane likes this
- alexic0n likes this
- miss-sidney likes this
- great-cliterature reblogged this from nonafaustine
- mr-color-grey reblogged this from activismandsnaps
- activismandsnaps reblogged this from a-mead-gal
- memoriesforme likes this
- newzat10 reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- fuckyeaheverdaywomen reblogged this from araelia
- atropadigitalis reblogged this from sakuraprophet
- sakuraprophet reblogged this from araelia
- thetaciciabryanwellnessfund reblogged this from cocobaby23
- tgstonebutch reblogged this from eshusplayground
- knightmarre reblogged this from jadameetsworld
- knightmarre likes this
- jadameetsworld reblogged this from thecontroversydaily
- onethousandrbirds likes this
- morganaskywalker likes this
- yarnzipangirl likes this
- digivolvin likes this
- alphaunni reblogged this from jellyfishverse
- thecontroversydaily reblogged this from ethiopienne
- stone-gossard likes this
- a-ghost-who-was-left-in-the-cold reblogged this from wretchedoftheearth
- earthtoj9 reblogged this from acolourfulcreation
- broughttoyoubyjah likes this
- acolourfulcreation reblogged this from ethiopienne
- princessnijireiki likes this
- laninaseria reblogged this from ethiopienne
- pencilcozy reblogged this from ethiopienne
- bunnybumble reblogged this from ethiopienne
- kohgi likes this
- muffinavashti19 reblogged this from ethiopienne
- teamf00d reblogged this from ethiopienne
- simplebitchchronicles likes this
- personalvision likes this
- eb-n-flow reblogged this from ethiopienne
- peaceloveandstupidity reblogged this from moriartys-crownjewels
- salientverses likes this
- sophisticatedexuberance likes this
- autumnleavesbabe reblogged this from iwakeupblack
- autumnleavesbabe likes this
- yaaruin likes this
- catfrican reblogged this from ethiopienne
- heosic24 reblogged this from ethiopienne
- littleainthecloset likes this
- seancing likes this