White women’s tears can come about in different ways, but here is the classic scene:–
1. A white woman says something racist.
2. A black woman points it out. (It could be any person of colour but it works best against black women for reasons given below.)
3. The white woman says she is not racist and starts crying.
4. For added effect the white woman can run out of the room.
5. Other whites, particularly white men, come to the aid and comfort not of the wronged black woman but of the racist white woman!
6. The black woman, the wronged party, is made to seem like the mean one in the eyes of whites.
7. The white woman continues to believe she is not racist.
Tables turned! It works so well that it is hard not to see the tears as a cheap trick.
This is more than just a woman using tears to get her way. It is built on a set of White American ideas about race, listed here in no particular order:
It works best when these two stereotypes can be applied:
The Sapphire stereotype - black women as mean, angry and disagreeable
The Pure White Woman stereotype - white women as these special, delicate creatures who need to be protected at all costs. It is what drives the Missing White Woman Syndrome – and, in the old days, lynchings.
The r-word: to be called a “racist”, however gently and indirectly, is a terrible, upsetting thing for white people – far worse than, you know, being a racist.
White people and their feelings are the centre of the known universe.
Hearts of stone: meanwhile whites seem to have a very, very hard time putting themselves in the shoes of people of colour.
Moral blindness: white people think they are Basically Good, therefore if someone points out something bad about them it must be out of hatred.
White solidarity: whites are afraid to stand up against racism, particularly when they are with other whites. Also, they do not like it when you call other whites racists – they seem to take it personally for some reason.
I watched this happen at a queer conference I was at where a white woman made a comment and used the word “lynched”, in front of a POC. When he confronted her (in a super polite way), instead of owning up to what had happened, she cried for a good 15 minutes while making it seem like it wasnt her fault for knowing that it would offend him…UGH
- 28decembers reblogged this from aubbriee
- myhusbandisbingu reblogged this from aubbriee
- myhusbandisbingu likes this
- aubbriee reblogged this from pocketworthy
- esinahs reblogged this from k-lit
- esinahs likes this
- latulapyrope likes this
- sxghs reblogged this from foreignqueer
- w3lcome2kandi reblogged this from chocolatecakesandthickmilkshakes
- timemakesnomistakes likes this
- prettyythings likes this
- bienfaireetlaisserdire likes this
- alleyezonmickey likes this
- lovesblackwomen reblogged this from chocolatecakesandthickmilkshakes
- pumalove reblogged this from adreamdeferred
- gitanaluna likes this
- proteinpills reblogged this from foreignqueer
- lovesblackwomen likes this
- shaahs likes this
- adreamdeferred reblogged this from revitiligo
- slimgoodie67 likes this
- misterdelfuego likes this
- brockbutch likes this
- theundeadricflair likes this
- kittycatalways reblogged this from chocolatecakesandthickmilkshakes
- chocolatecakesandthickmilkshakes reblogged this from revitiligo
- chocolatecakesandthickmilkshakes likes this
- adorkableblackberry likes this
- thegentlemanofleisure reblogged this from revitiligo
- thegentlemanofleisure likes this
- revitiligo reblogged this from foreignqueer
- simplykuwame reblogged this from foreignqueer
- lexxismonet likes this
- nattyklay reblogged this from foreignqueer
- sxghs likes this
- leankou likes this
- idareyoutosay likes this
- foreignqueer reblogged this from toh-ska
- foreignqueer likes this
- toh-ska reblogged this from nubianqueens
- toh-ska likes this
- kiloisag reblogged this from walkingtherunwayeatingtherunway
- keebiekneebiez reblogged this from wretchedoftheearth
- tempeh-princess reblogged this from feminismthough
- cipherinthesnow likes this
- spaceboundchicano reblogged this from birthofhuitzilopochtli
- disabledbyculture likes this
- basicsofspeech reblogged this from wretchedoftheearth
- akisapeachu likes this
- bendum likes this